Thursday, August 26, 2010

Bolognese Sauce without Red Wine

Since I watch the food network and read cooking blogs quite frequently, I always hear of this "so amazing" bolognese sauce. Usually, bolognese, a thick, delicious meat sauce, has red wine in it. I'm not even old enough to buy alcohol, I live in a dry county, and I'd be very nervous I wouldn't be able to cook all the alcohol out. When I found this recipe, I thought I'd might as well substitute something for the red wine because I'll be missing out on making this recipe. I decided to substitute 1/2 chicken broth and 1/2 beef broth. I'm sure red wine adds a different and I'm sure tasty element to this sauce, but I didn't want to mess with the alcohol evaporation stuff.

Here is my (alcohol free) Bolognese Sauce....

Bolognese Sauce
serves 8+
adapted from this recipe

3 T Olive Oil
1 1/2 c grated carrots
1 normal-ish sized onion, diced
2 pounds ground beef
2 T dried oregano
2 T dried basil
1 (6 oz) can tomato paste
5 or 6 cloves of garlic (trust me-- the garlic isn't overpowering at all), minced
3/4 c chicken broth
3/4 c beef broth
2 T Worcestershire sauce
2 (28 oz) cans whole tomatoes (drain most of the juice)
2/3 - 1 c milk (depending on how thick or thin you want it- I used skim)
salt and pepper to taste
parmesan cheese

Heat oil in a large dutch oven (or saucepan) over medium heat. Add grated carrots and onions and cook for a few minutes

Make a well in the center of the mixture, and add in the ground beef. Cook for a few minutes until brown, gradually stirring it into the carrot mixture.

Toss in oregano and basil. When the meat is browned and combined with the other ingredients in the pot, make another well. Add the tomato paste and let it heat. Add garlic and stir.

Make a well in the center of the mixture and add the broth(s). Stir together. Add worcestershire and stir. Add canned tomatoes. Pour in milk, stir and let simmer for 30 minutes to 2 hours (the longer, the better).

Serve with pasta (I used whole wheat spaghetti) and lots of parmesan cheese

**** you can add cornstartch if you want it thicker ****

This really is yummy. It's like a very sophisticated meat sauce- and so much better.

-amanda abby

2 comments:

  1. Amanda,
    You have set up this blog very nicely.I like the personal facts about you You have written the receipes very interestingly and then the photo of the dish adds alot to your presentation.Good job
    I will pass this blog along.
    Love,
    Grandpa.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I very much appreciate this recipe - was looking for an alcohol-free bolognese, and this hits the spot!

    ReplyDelete