I would take this over chocolate sheet cake any day. Almond extract never hurt anything, and especially not this cake. I frosted this cake with a double batch of my favorite whipped buttercream vanilla frosting.
1 cup butter
1 cup water
2 cups flour
2 cups sugar
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup sour cream, at room temperature
1 teaspoon almond extract
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees
2. In a medium saucepan, bring butter and water to a boil. Meanwhile, in a large bowl add flour and sugar and mix. Then add in the eggs, sour cream, almond extract, baking soda, and salt. Slowly pour in the butter/water mixture. Stir until well combined and smooth. Batter will be thin.
3. Pour into a greased sheet pan. Bake for 18-22 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely.
4. Frost with a double batch of this frosting. Add 1 teaspoon of almond extract to the frosting.
5. Cut the cake (into big pieces, the only way to do it!) and top with fresh berries.
source: recipe adapted from here
Have any questions about this recipe? email me at email@example.com